sexta-feira, 19 de agosto de 2011

The Philadelphia Story


There comes a time when you fatally realize that today's mainstream romantic comedy is far, far, sadly faaaaar from the quality level of yesterday's mainstream romantic comedy. I found out about this movie by myself and started watching it alone too, and I wasn't sure what to expect - I was almost afraid it might be bad. Of course, I forgot that the proportion of bad movies "today" is much higher than the proportion of bad movies "yesterday".

As it turned out, I was rolling on the floor laughing for most of the movie or grinning irresistibly. This had so many excellent actors I don't even know where to start. But first, the short story!

Tracy Samantha Lord Haven (Katharine Hepburn) is a wealthy Philadelphia socialite who had divorced C. K. Dexter Haven (Cary Grant), a member of her social set, because he did not measure up to her exacting standards. She is about to marry nouveau riche "man of the people" George Kittredge (John Howard). Spy magazine publisher Sidney Kidd (Henry Daniell) is eager to cover the wedding, and enlists Dexter, one of his former employees, into introducing reporter Macaulay "Mike" Connor (James Stewart) and photographer Liz Imbrie (Ruth Hussey) as friends of the family so they can report on the wedding.




Let delightful madness ensue! This was one of the funniest movies I've seen, and I've got to say it was all thanks to the actors. Katharine Hepburn is great, of course (one of my favorites), and Cary Grant has a somewhat different role from what I'm used to see: more quiet and observant, but always with his awesome and hilarious expressions and lines. ("But first, could I interest you in some blackmail?"). I loved Tracy's younger sister Dinah (Virginia Weidler, as well as her Uncle Willie (Roland Young). The photographer Liz Imbrie and her usually placid way of being was fantastic ("Oh, no, I'm just a photographer, I can't afford to hate anyone"). And James Stewart has one of the funniest scenes I can remember: when he's drunk. In fact, let me present to you this list of my modest opinion (and limited experience):


Best Drunks In Movies:

Cary Grant (North By Northwest), Audrey Hepburn (Breakfast At Tiffany's), Katharine Hepburn and James Stewart (The Philadelphia Story)


And the list is ever growing, ladies and gentlemen!

The director is George Cukor (you might know him for My Fair Lady) and the year 1940. Still not sure you want to watch this? I can guarantee you a light, hilarious and witty comedy. Plus, it was nominated for four oscars (Best Director, Best Picture, Best Actress in a supporting role (Ruth Hussey - I told you she was great!) and Best Actress in a leading role (Katharine Hepburn) and won two: Best Actor in a leading role (James Stewart) and Best Screenplay (Donald Ogden Stewart). Perfectly agreed!

I didn't like mainstream romantic comedies because I didn't know the old ones!


Here's a trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CtquHsxoZo


See you soon for more movies! :)

Sem comentários:

Enviar um comentário